Thursday, April 11, 2013

55 Hours

NaPoWriMo day 11, poem 12/30. I actually wrote this poem for my workshop class, but since nothing else has come to me today I figure I'll post this early draft here. The prompt was to write something about a fallen hero. My choice was obvious: misguided as I might have been, I idolized Britney Spears growing up. This is about the day I gave her up.

55 Hours

Plaintiff Spears lacked understanding of her actions to the extent that she was incapable of agreeing to the marriage.


She wakes in the back of the limo
neck aching, mouth dry,
a man across her lap.
She remembers everything.
This is the day it ends.

There is glitter in her lashes,
chipped polish on her nails
and she knows that she is lost.
In front of the cameras
she sealed her fate last night with a kiss.

No more feigned virginity.
She is everything they wanted:
trainwreck, bimbo, slut.
She can annul her new attachment
but it seems priests are more forgiving

than grocery store magazines.
The last nascent lesbians
take her picture from their lockers,
fold her little girl smile on itself.
This is the day it ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment