Friday, April 5, 2013

More Than One Way to End a Siege

NaPoWriMo day 5, poem 6/30. I tried my hand at a cinquain, but I really don't like working with meter. I feel too constrained when I have to count my syllables. So I'm leaving the cinquain behind and doing one more spaceship poem. This is the last name that really grabbed me (like the others, from the Twitter account). The metaphor is troubling me but I like the idea.

Also, in reaction to the cinquain, this ended up being a prose poem.

More Than One Way to End a Siege

Leave me under cover of night. When my troops awake they find the gates open, sentries disappeared. Some blame witchcraft but if I find you I won't tie you to the stake.

Break me, take a blade to my armor. Just as I think I'm free, you slam the portcullis between our bodies. You hold my helmet up so I can see myself distorted.

Deny me and it won't be long before I run out of bread and water. Denial was our game once, your hand around my neck, wicked lips counting down the seconds I had to wait. Now no matter how sluttish my begging, you never reach one.

No comments:

Post a Comment