Sunday, April 7, 2013

Knight

NaPoWriMo day 7, poem 8/30. For whatever reason I wasn't in a poetry mood today, but I really want to write every day. This poem is last minute, but I think that some other time I might be able to spiff it up. Today's prompt was to write a poem in which every line is a statement, with the last line being a question. It gave me some cool opportunities for repetition but felt really odd to write.

Knight

I just wanted to protect you.
It sounds like what a villain would say.
I promise I'm not a villain.
Don't mind me.
You didn't mind when I opened doors.
You didn't mind my stockinged December legs.
I didn't mind my stockinged December legs.
When you were cold I held your feet.
When you came to me I waited.
When you came to my bed I waited.
I didn't want you to think I was only after one thing.
I was only after one thing.
That one thing wasn't what you think.
That one thing was an antidote.
I wanted to cure loneness.
The cure tasted bitter.
This love tasted cheap in my mouth.
It's never tasted like that before.
I don't know what went wrong.
You never told me what went wrong.
You never told me what I did wrong.
What did I do wrong?

No comments:

Post a Comment