Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Sleeping Stone

NaPoWriMo Day 24, poem 26/30: There was a creationist Texas school board member on the Colbert Report last night. I don't agree with anything he said, but there was one sentence that popped out at me and would not let me go. "What does a sleeping stone dream of?" (It might have been "rock," but I like the alliteration.) He was talking about atheists believing in nothing.

Well, I believe in a lot of things, and I dream a lot of things, too.


Sleeping Stone

What does a sleeping stone dream of?
She dreams - not
in color or grayscale
but in epic poems -
of hands,
warm soft hands to pull
her from the mud,
brush her clean, hold
tight.
She dreams of eyes,
ears, and lips
to take in the world
fantastical and real,
to see and adore
her earthbound savior.
She dreams that
deep within
there is a gem,
a geode, a trilobite,
magick.

No comments:

Post a Comment