Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Under Construction

NaPoWriMo Day 17, poem 18/30: Today's prompt was a multipart, very complicated thing, so I ended up working with just one part of it - using a line from a song. So here it is, inspired by Lady Gaga's "Judas:" "I've heard love is like a brick; it can build a house or sink a dead body."


Under Construction

I was scratch
until you made me.
When did you lay the first
brick?
Maybe when all I knew
were your words
when you were acquaintance
then psychologist
then pimp.
Maybe on Broadway
between the late crowds
when you palmed the hollow
of my back.
You built me stone
by stone
when you kissed me
on your broken couch,
in the Metro station against the concrete.
When my lips met
your teeth and your hands
gave in.
When you called me
slut
with love not malice
since you knew I was
pure
since you built me.
That was when you placed
carefully
the keystone
that completed my arch.
These rocks weather
without your care,
long past
eroded.
I gather the bricks
year by
year by
year,
build ever upward
in want of completion.

1 comment:

  1. Your writing style reminds me of Ellen Hopkins. I love that style :) You make it your own though, very creative.

    ReplyDelete