Tuesday, April 3, 2012

something old something new

NaPoWriMo Day 3, Poem 4/30: weddings

This was one of the best poetry-writing experiences I've ever had. It illuminated how I feel about weddings and marriage in some unexpected ways.


something old something new

I never planned
for this
I for all my
imagining
never thought of dresses
or flowers or love

I had no intentions of
first dances
I was happy
to dance alone

I like any good young
rebel
I never wanted it
until it was
forbidden



at twenty-one I believed
in fairytales in
a white princess gown
and silver shoes
and pink roses

once I knew there was no Prince
Charming
I wanted the ever after

I don't know where
we stand
what end of the aisle
to await her
but with the whole world between us
I will see her face
I will go to her and swear
I won't let go

No comments:

Post a Comment