Thursday, April 26, 2012

Why do you sleep with girls?

NaPoWriMo Day 26, poem 28/30: I skipped a found poetry prompt from earlier in the week, so I thought I'd go back to it. I combined text from the April Vogue (pages picked at random, some articles and some ads) and Jeanette Winterson's gorgeous short story, "The Poetics of Sex" (I started at the beginning and picked one line per page until the poem felt done). The title comes from the Winterson story, and the text I found kind of fit perfectly with my current situation.


Why do you sleep with girls?

Like fairy princesses, false
eyelashes still in place,
you don't need to be
Rapunzel
to let down your hair
without ruining
your look along the way.
I feel I should call up
Film on the phone and
say, I've met someone,
her breath is blue
in the cold air.
Tempt, tantalize,
and enthrall,
I took her by her pony tail
the way a hero
grabs a runaway horse.
Imagine having nothing
to hide.
We are in our igloo
and it couldn't be snugger.

No comments:

Post a Comment