Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Born Green

NaPoWriMo Day 25, 27/30: I've been having a bit of an Elphaba week, so I decided to write today's poem about her and Glinda, and also a little about me.


Born Green

I was born green
and like all green things
I grew.
I grew silent
to hide away my
thinking.
I grew sharp edges
to keep out strangers.
I grew long hair
that I could braid
my secrets into.
Most green things
fear
romance,
which all too often cuts
them down in their prime
in the name of bouquets
and corsages.
I, too, grew scared
but still you've knocked
me from my roots
and plucked my petals.
Loves me, loves me
not.
You didn't expect
to unearth me,
the raw and the real.
I'm small inside,
small from disuse
and endless crouching,
but you bring me bread and water.
At night, I have no sun
to grow for
so you turn on the light.

No comments:

Post a Comment